Monday, June 15, 2020

Book Review - Britain's Birds, An Identification Guide to the Birds of Great Britain and Ireland, Second Edition - Princeton University Press


         In the fall of last year I reviewed British Birds, A Pocket Guide by the same authors, a book that impressed me greatly. That work was strictly a field guide, designed to be carried along on a birding outing, compact, portable and containing all the information necessary to identify a bird.
     The present volume goes far beyond the pocket guide, in scope, wealth of detail, clarity, organizational structure, and information pertaining not only to the bird as a unique species, but to its place in the natural history of Great Britain and Ireland. Just when one thinks that works of this nature cannot be greatly improved, along comes a volume that ups the ante and creates a class unto itself. Such is the case here.
     It could easily serve as a first rate field guide, and doubtless will for some, but there is so much more to this magnum opus. The authors, all of whom have earned their spurs in the arena of ornithology in Europe, have been able to successfully blend an incredible array of first class photographs, with an informative text that encapsulates the current level of knowledge about each species.
    It begins with all the standard introductory sections found in any field guide - and all too frequently ignored! The "obligatory" depiction of bird topography is very agreeable indeed with superior coloured images of the bird perched and in flight, with every part labelled.
     There follows a gallery of thumbnail images so that the bird can quickly be assigned to a given group, e.g. Gulls, Dabbling Ducks, Diving Ducks, which leads the reader to the species accounts for more detailed examination. The selection of high quality images for each species is extremely useful in the identification process, and there are comprehensive notes on aging and moult. A range map is included, with information about habitat types, and the direction of migration for birds that do not spend their whole year in the British Isles. 
     Identifiable subspecies are shown, enabling the birder to add an extra dimension to his quest.  Sections providing tips on how to identify female ducks, hybrid ducks and gulls, larids in sub adult plumages, and so on, are incredibly useful and innovative techniques are used to facilitate understanding of what can be for some, difficult topics, especially when first tackled.
     The current status of each species is provided and it is alarming to note the quantity of birds whose numbers are declining.
     Great Britain and Ireland are ideally positioned to receive vagrants from Europe and Asia, and also from North America, so there is a high frequency of strays from other parts of the world. These orphans and waifs receive due attention!
     A section at the and of the book shows British and Irish Lists, Status and Legislation, something not generally found in works of this nature, and the summary - and the way it is depicted - is very useful indeed.
     This is a fine work, filled with wonderful photographs and a wealth of information. My advice to my fellow birders, whether a proficient veteran or unabashed novice, would be take the pocket guide as your instrument in the field, and have this book at home or in your hotel room, ready to amplify the discoveries you have made while out and about.
    Like Scotch and soda, wine and cheese, or ham and eggs, I can't think of a better combination. 

Britain's Birds, An identification guide to the birds of Great Britain and Ireland
Rob Hume, Robert Still, Andy Swash, Hugh Harrop and David Tipling
US$35.00, £20.00 - 9780691199795 - 3,591 colour plates - 576 pages - 5.88 in. x 8. 25 in.
Publication date: 14 July 2020

     
     

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

42 comments:

  1. I'll certainly be looking out for that when the RSPB reserves and bookshops are fully open. One almost needs to buy a new guide every few years as new birds move to these shores, while others are sadly seen less often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this book I have on my shelf! I bought a copy earlier this year and have used it a fair few times, it's definitely a great purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for yet another excellent and considered review.
    And huge thanks to the authors/photographers and publishers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    well, you gotta know that's going on my wishlist!!! Ta. ... (done!) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you will both enjoy it and benefit from it!

      Delete
  5. Hello, Another great bird guide and book. Thanks for the review. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have several books on UK birds but they are not really that much use to me here. I have a great book that is a complete guide to the UK and Europe which I use all the time. Having said that, I just love books so I would probably buy it if I saw it, though unlikely to see it here in English! Bonne semaine, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the birds found in Britain are also found in France, of course, Diane.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like an excellent guide. British birds are, of course, the best in the world. I was always amazed that in a teeming town like London there was always such an amazing variety of birds and other wildlife. I hope you have a wonderful week and see lots of exciting birds with which to delight us all in your next post. Hugs to you and Miriam the Muffin Maker (I'm hungry!) Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been able to see the interior of the guide on the internet, and it does look an excellent guide to have in your pocket whenever out birdwatching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure it's a very good book David, and you have definitely bought one or two of them already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a terrific volume. You had me at the thumbnails that put things into broad categories. I don't always know where to start looking and eventually get frustrated. I appreciate really comprehensive nature guides like this and while I'll probably not be a likely candidate (I wonder when I'll EVER be able to get back to England!), I know your Brit and European readers will find this an especially useful review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A guide in this world of birds is always useful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like an impressive book that will give you much enjoyment. Money well spent :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buenas tardes amigo David, gran guía la que nos traes hoy y muy mejorada con la anterior. Seguro que es una herramienta indispensable para todo aquel que quiera familiarizarse con el extraordinario mundo de las aves.
    Te deseo tengas una agradable semana querido amigo.
    Un fuerte abrazo de tu compadre Juan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. J'ai un guide de poche sur les oiseaux, mais celui ci semble plus complet.
    Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi both,
    Another introduction to what appears to be a book all us over in the UK should invest in, perhaps I'll have a Scotch and Soda and Ham and Eggs whilst I ponder.
    You both stay safe and well
    John

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dobrze, że powstała taka książka. Dobry przewodnik po ptakach to jest skarb.
    Gratuluję recenzji, to dobry sygnał dla autorów!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonder if our sinlaw has this. Just his type of volume. He could probably have contributed to such a book anyway. Love the robin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. In our California desert-y climate, there are no walking forests near us. So, we have a block of birdseed in a feeder where we can watch it from LR. What I need is a guide on calif. song birds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds an interesting book - love the cover photo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good night dear friend, how are you! happy start of the week. I really appreciate this recommendation about these precious little things with wings. They look like sweet fantasy birds!
    Greetings from a foggy night in Buenos Aires.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like a really useful bird guide. England was the first country where I met serious birders and it was always very interesting talking with them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mooie de foto van het roodborstje.
    Groet kees.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not sure I 100% agree with you on this one! I have the first edition, and think that the 100% complete approach is not great for beginners. I think it will lead to too much rarity spotting. As as a second or third book, maybe. And I certainly agree with your idea of it being your home base book!

    I am doing my best to ensure that borders are open as soon as possible!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Given the excellence of their Pocket Guide, David, I think that this book might well join it on my shelf next month!

    ReplyDelete
  25. 'Tis a good idea to have a book as in identifying birds. Once I downloaded an app for that but for Australia, it was expensive but some people I knew had it on their phone. However, nothing is as good as a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I always enjoy your reviews, even when the books aren't for my little bit of the world. I've recommended this one to a couple of serious birders I know in England, and one intends to purchase it. It's nice to be able to help someone out in such a way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda: I suspect that many travellers like me have had their wings clipped by Covid-19, and I doubt that the kind of travel I have done all my life will resume as before, so more people than ever will be doing armchair birding with the help of books like this, and some of the excellent nature shows available these days.

      Delete
  27. Simpático pájaro, es una preciosidad.

    Quiero aclararte, que las fotos que has comentado en mi blog, corresponde a un viaje que hice el año pasado. Desde que comenzó lo del coronavirus, no he hecho ninguna salida, incluso tampoco he tomado fotos de mi ciudad. las fotos que voy publicando están hecha antes de la pandemia.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's nice to read your book reviews. Nice cover. I have a guide of Europe. Have a nice evening. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great review. David. Sounds like a book I should get so I can begin to know what birds I'm actually seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a detailed review, as always, David. I'm sure that many of the birds or variants can be found in parts of the USA. I enjoy seeing birds on our walks but aside from a dozen or so am not very good at identifying most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just takes a little practice to get better, Beatrice.

      Delete
  31. Books that must be collected by bird lovers. The cover of the book is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi David - I can see the sense of owning the book and having it available when travelling ... reminds me of times out in South Africa - always with a Roberts (Birds of Southern Africa) to hand ... and rady for checking things. I must look out for this one - we're able to get out and about again ... thanks for the update on this new one ... take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I visited South Africa in 1968 I stayed at a B&B operated by Hugh Chittenden and his wife, and he had just published a completely updated edition of Roberts Bird Guide, and my signed (personalized) copy is one of my treasured possessions. One of the really interesting features of this book is that the names of the birds are provided in several different African languages. Hugh was an absolutely charming fellow and was recently awarded an honourary doctorate from one of RSA's leading universities.

      Delete
  33. Me encantaría tener esté libro, me vendría muy bien. Seguro que tenemos muchos pájaros iguales por aquí. Un abrazo amigo David.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This does sound very good, many thanks for the review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  35. A great book. I would love to buy it.
    Thank you for the review.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers