Saturday, September 07, 2019

Wild Birds Unlimited, Kitchener, ON

     A great addition to a community of birders is a store specializing in all things related to birds -  seed, feeders, nesting boxes, optics and so forth.
     Last year (almost exactly a year ago in fact) a Wild Birds Unlimited store opened in Kitchener, ideally positioned to serve the naturalists of Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge and the surrounding area. 



     Many of us had previously made the trek to the Wild Birds Unlimited store in Guelph, so we were very happy to have a store in our community, located at 4391 King Street East in Kitchener. 



     The owner of the store is Cathy Hale, seen below with her dedicated and highly proficient assistant Debbie Huck.


Debbie, Cathy

     Before taking the plunge with this venture Cathy was an account manager with a Canadian telecom company with international scope, a career from which she derived a good deal of satisfaction. When the company was sold to US interests, however, and conditions began to change, her level of contentment went into steep decline, and she decided to resign her position.
     She took time off to ponder her future and following discussions with the owners of several other Wild Birds Unlimited stores decided to take the plunge into the world of retail. She had previously been a client of the store in Burlington, ON and had a lifelong love affair with nature, nurtured by time spent in British Columbia and here in Ontario. It seemed like an obvious move.
     And she has not regretted it one bit.  She has always been happy dealing with people and looked forward to the challenge of building a clientele and developing her business. Cathy is very much a "people person" and goes out of her way to interact in the most positive and friendly way with her customers, whether they come into the store to buy one suet block or a month's supply of seed and a couple of feeders. Her view of life is that you receive happiness by giving happiness. 
     The store has a wide variety of bird feed - suet and seed, for example.




     All of Cathy's bird seed is sourced locally and supplies are received weekly ensuring that the bird food is fresh. My personal favourite is a "no mess" mix containing a variety of seeds - sunflower hearts, peanuts, safflower etc. - thereby attracting a range of species. And there are no shells to clean up after those messy birds have finished eating!
     Whatever type of bird feeder you have in mind, you will find it at Wild Birds Unlimited. And most of them have a lifetime warranty.





     In addition to helping birds, we also need to improve conditions for solitary bees, those essential pollinators, so critical to all life on earth, and Cathy has bee "hotels."


     And did I mention she has bird feeders?




     While I was there several customers came into the store, including a delightful young woman coming in to buy both hardware and seed. In recent months she and her mother have been walking the Bruce Trail and have recently completed the Niagara section of it (Bravo!), and as might be expected they have been seeing many birds during their hikes. Now she wishes to take it a step further and feed them at home.


     I have to say that Cathy was a fountain of knowledge and a paragon of cooperation and kindness as she helped this novice find exactly what she wanted.
     The use of a chart to show her client the range of species to be expected was very helpful.


     I chatted with this customer myself and I know that she left the store very pleased with the service she received and the products she purchased.
     Lest anyone think that I have a financial interest in this venture, I do not. Nor do I have any links of kinship to Cathy.
     I am simply very happy that the store has been established in our neighbourhood and I am sure that myriad other birders feel the same way. Whether you are a veteran at feeding birds, or someone about to embark on the task of putting out bird feeders for the first time, this is the store to obtain quality, value, a warm smile and good service.
     Go and talk to Cathy or Debbie. You'll be glad you did.


     Just tell them David sent you!
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

49 comments:

  1. WHAT a brilliant store - and service. Good luck to Cathy, though I suspect that luck is not the right term. Her business success is a direct result of her attitude.
    Co-incidentally I feature a bee hotel in my post today too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly a great store David. I am amazed by their variety of bird seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two young, good-looking women (owner Cathie and assistant Debbie) and a beautiful, spacious, bird supplies' store - that's quite an attraction in Kitchener and surroundings!! Good Luck to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    What a fabulous place - wishing Cathy and her enterprise all the best! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful store on your doorstep. I wonder if our southern states have anything like this? We just keep our bird bath full.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing store. I suppose we don't have the population for speciality stores such as this. What a wonderful variety of seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who would have thought there is so much variety of bird seed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David, we don't have where I live such a wonderful store. I wish we would. The owners of the store are wonderful friendly and so welcoming. Great place for everyone who loves birds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tyvärr kan jag inte gå och prata med damerna men jag önskar Cathy lycka till!

    Människor har väl i alla tider matat fåglar men jag undrar om inte det finns ett ökat intresse för denna aktivitet? Tänker på alla nya produkter som saluförs och som kanske är ett resultat av människors ökande engagemang för natur och miljö.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly the practice of feeding birds has grown exponentially in recent year in North America, Gunilla.

      Delete
  10. Hello David!
    Awesome store. Such a store is a great attraction in Kitchener and the surrounding area. I send greetings to two very beautiful women! Autumn and winter is approaching and I would gladly visit it to buy food for the birds that visit my garden.
    Have a nice Sunday, David.
    Hugs and greetings from almost autumn, rainy Poland:)
    Lucja

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very beautiful, spacious, bird supplies store !
    We also have nice bird supplies stores here in the Netherlands!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Estupendo negocio. Se ven muy decididas y tendrán éxito. Esa es la mejor visión de la vida David, la felicidad y se las ve felices. Mucha suerte para ellas.
    Buen domingo.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful store, David! I guess you bought something there yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks the type I love go shopping, great images.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I could spend a whole day and then some in a store like this. And max-out my credit card too.

    Thank you for linking up with us this weekend, at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, it looks like a great store for purchasing bird food and feeders. We have one near me, I have been to often. Lovely ladies! I just got back from my trip and I am catching up with comments. Thanks for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy day and a great new week! PS, I appreciate your visits and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello David, great store and good that more and more people want to help the birds getting trough the Winter by helping them with seeds and other food. Not so different of what is going on here in Holland, Belgium and other countries. Every one want to have birds in their garden or balconies including me. So this store looks in a way very familiar. I wish the ladies al lot of customers.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a beautiful store David, for wild bird food and feeders. I think the wild birds are very happy with such stores. Has a nice week. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi David. I can see how that store will do well against the opposition provided by the Internet. Friendly, knowledgeable advice is a great advantage. This coupled with the additional benefit of knowing that your cash goes to help local business people and finds its way back into the community rather than going large, often faceless corporations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This store is in my neck of the woods and always such a delight to visit. A bird-lovers paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  21. One stop shopping for anything related to birds. Nice report on your visit, David. I'm sure that they will be a successful and beneficial store to the community.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I used to love shopping at the Wild Birds Unlimited store in Houston, but it's been years since I've been there. In fact, I'm not even sure it's there any more. These days I do most of my bird supplies shopping online at Duncraft and it is delivered to my front door, but Wild Birds Unlimited is a wonderful place. Kitchener is lucky to have them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Querido amigo David, disculpa mi tardanza pero he estado algo liado.
    Estas tiendas son realmente las que deberían proliferar en barrios y ciudades y no las grandes superficies que quieren abarcarlo todo. Hoy día, abrir un pequeño establecimiento minoristas es señal de valor y querer dar un trato muy especial a todos sus clientes.
    Chapó, por las sonrientes y bellas Cathie y Debbie, merece la pena entrar aunque sea para ver sus amables y bonitas sonrisas. Espero que tengan un gran éxito.
    Un fuerte abrazo querido amigo y compadre David.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Muy buena esta tienda con todo lo necesario para dar de comer a los pájaros y para poder observarlos y ellas se ven muy simpáticas y guapas. Supongo que compraste!
    Un beso grande.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's a great store, there is one in the neighboring town, but I haven't been in longgg time! I see lots of goodies in your photo's my birds would love.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to have a store like that close to home, David. I wish Cathy every success in this venture. I was tempted to wish them 'good luck', but with Cathy and Debbie's personality and dedication, I suspect that they don't need it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cool store, and kudos to Cathy for following her heart. It takes courage to make the change from corporate employee to business owner and I wish her every success. I let Lilly know that David says "hi"!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have been a Wildbirds Unlimited customer for years. We are very happy to have one in town, I don't even need the car to go there, I can ride my bicycle (except when I buy the big bags of bird seed). I always love to look around the store and chat with the owner or his assistant. I have a habitat garden with many bees, but I'm really tempted to get a bee "hotel".

    ReplyDelete
  29. There was a Wild Birds Unlimited very close to me, and then it closed. It was re-opened in a new location, and then closed again. Now, it's once again open, and everyone is happy. Everyone's doing their part to increase the store's business, too, so we don't have to go through the trauma of losing the store again!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How nice that this store has opened up. They look to be well stocked and have quite a variety of seed.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Me parece una tienda muy bonita, con muchos productos. Suerte y besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  32. There are two really reputable places for good birdseed in our region -- and one is a Wild Birds Unlimited. They always have just the right thing -- which reminds me, before winter sets in, I need to upgrade my bird houses!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, what a great shop!!
    I have now a feeder a little bit like those in the photo number 10. I'm really satisfied, it works well and can be cleaned thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Off to Greece for 3. See you soon David.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Any store open for birds is a help point for those who have time to buy food.

    ReplyDelete
  36. hello David
    to have such a shop in his vicinity is really nice, in addition to the two ladies who know exactly what they sell, so it makes it pleasant for customers to shop ... for me a little too far away ... ;-))
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'd love to have a store like this in Leeds, we do have them in the UK but they seem to only be further down south!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Having a store like that would be great...you're more than fortunate to have such knowledge so close!...:)jp

    ReplyDelete
  39. i am lucky to have a store similar to this, only 10 minutes from home. it is a one of a kind store, not a chain store, run by the sweetest woman who's name is debbie. i LOVE going and buy most of my products from her. shopping local is very important to me!!!

    awesome pictures, it looks to be a great store!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi David,
    Appears to be an Aladdin's cave for us that feed garden birds, again I notice with pretty ladies.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi David - wish I could get there to say 'you sent me' and also to pop along and meet you, Miriam and birding friends ... Cathy has obviously found her niche - she and her young friend look quite delightful ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hilary, it is really a pity that you never visited southern Ontario during your sojourn in Canada last year. Maybe one day there will be another opportunity.

      Delete
  42. geweldig dexe winkels zou je overal moeten hebben met mensen die je zo vakkundig kunnen helpen

    ReplyDelete
  43. Looks a great shop - if I visited on a Wednesday I could show them Wild Bird Wednesday, in Wild Birds on a Wednesday!

    SM

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers