Tuesday, November 21, 2017

White-throated Dipper (Cincle plongeur)

     Whenever one speaks to a bird enthusiast who has never seen a dipper, it is high on their wish list to do so. There is something uniquely captivating about dippers and their aquatic lifestyle.
     On our recent trip to Europe Miriam and I were the only members of our group who had ever seen a dipper and we are fortunate to have seen four of the world's five species.
     A discussion about which species is the most attractive is obviously subjective in so many ways, but I think it is safe to say that White-throated Dipper (Cinclus cinclus) would occupy a spot in the top two, the other being the Rufous-throated Dipper (Cinclus schulzi), the rarest of all dippers, with a very limited South American range.
     There was ample suitable habitat in the rapidly flowing mountain streams of the Julian Alps and we set out on a quest to find this enigmatic species.



     Dippers are totally wedded to water and know no other habitat. Even when they fly it is always low over the surface of the water and never over land.



     When they perch on rocks in a stream waiting to enter the water to forage, they bounce up and down as though their legs were little springs (dipping).



     They sometimes feed by plunging their head into the rapids searching for typical food such as mayflies and caddis flies and their larvae.






     Much of a White-throated Dipper's time is spent foraging, but sometimes it rests between bouts of feeding.


     A great deal of feeding is done by swimming down to the bottom of the stream, using powerful wing movements. The bird retains its body heat by enveloping itself in a film of small air bubbles; its feathers are also very robust and highly waterproof. Upon total immersion the dipper's heart rate drops; dipper blood has a high concentration of haemoglobin and hence a greater capacity to store oxygen compared with the blood of terrestrial birds.
     Here is a photographic sequence of a bird emerging from a bout of feeding and flying up out of the water.





     We had but this one encounter with a dipper, but it was for an extended period of time, and I can safely say it was one of the significant highlights for every member of our group.
     Thanks to Franc Gorenc for his excellent photography.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

18 comments:

  1. Hi, David,
    It's true that the Cincle is a bird everyone wants to see. My encounters with him were not the most beautiful, but I saw him:)
    Superb series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased that you had better luck with this species than you did when you visited UK in 2015, David! That's a super lift-off sequence by Franc!

    With love to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to enjoy the dipper on your trip to the Julian Alps.
    Amazing photos of this gorgeous bird!! I have only ever enjoyed it on a television documentary sadly.
    Thank you for sharing and have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David,
    Dippers are such a delight to watch, some years ago I used to do a considerable amount of Salmon fishing in Scotland, having spent a considerable amount of money per day for the honour of fishing on the estates river. I would then spend many happy hours watching the Dippers in the river, well worth it. Wonderful images Franc.
    All the best to you both, John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story about this bird David. There are some not far from my home in the South where there are little streams but never got to get there. One day I will. Your photo's are wonderful and give a good insight in their behaviour. Have a great weekend, warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree...it's a bird I would love to see! Very cool seeing it over the water!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of the 3 (?) I've seen the European one is definitely the best looking...........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aha, fond memories of seeing them at my friends local patch in Somerset UK, great little birds them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed these fabulous photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello David,
    you have catched the bird very well.
    I love the pictures where it's in the water (3, 4 and 5), they are beautiful.
    The dipper rising from the water is excellently done.
    Best regards, Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are excellent photos, beautiful little Dipper, thanks for comments David.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello David, I agree the Dipper is a bird everyone wants to see. I have only enjoyed seeing the American Dipper. You are lucky to see this beautiful Dipper. Great series of photos. I am looking forward to your Cuba birds. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my post. Enjoy your day, happy birding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi David,
    Welcome back!!
    During your trip I was cut off the net for over 3 weeks because a my new neighbours!
    A lovely bird I got to photograph once only; I will try this spring when they will parade and later when they feed their brood.
    Warm hugs to share with Miriam :)))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought I would be seeing birds from Cuba, not one that is pretty familiar. Never mind, your pictures and commentary complement each other so well for anyone unfamiliar with the dipper family. To see this species I have to travel 10-15 miles inland but sad to say, I rarely do. I guess its one of those birds that is always available but not quite rare enough to excite many a birder. Thanks for reminding all of us that it is well worth the effort of a longer look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow !! Fantastic photos of this gorgeous bird!! Thank you for showing me a new bird!
    It's a pity that those birds do not live here in Poland!
    Happy Sunday !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Espectaculares David, me encantan. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderfull blog David. It's (of course) one of my favourite soecies too. They are so sweet and funny ánd very special in their behaviour in the water. The first time I saw one I really was speechless and stayed for hours to watch it.
    I Like your photo's very much, especcialy the ones where the bird comes out of the water. I think it's a miraculous bird.
    One of my 'sayings' is 'Birdwatching is happiness', I think you'll fully understand that.

    Kind regards,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers